Sakribal school and other questions

Open for all topics related to travel in Guatemala however we focus on Xela!.
New boy

Post by New boy »

Hi experienced Guatemala people,

I'm new to this. Just booked my flight. Arriving on 11th April and planning to start school in Xela the following week for about 2 months before heading off adventuring.

I know it's totally boring to ask, but does anyone have any experience of the Sakribal school? I am planning on booking myself in their because I'm very interested in the REMAR drug and alcohol project they are associated with - I work in that field here in London, so wanted to do a bit of work in Guate too.

Also, how chilly does Xela get in April?

Any other advice or 'must do' tips greatly appreciated.

Cheers geezers.

Re: Sakribal school and other questions

Post by Guest »

New boy wrote:Hi experienced Guatemala people,

I'm new to this. Just booked my flight. Arriving on 11th April and planning to start school in Xela the following week for about 2 months before heading off adventuring.

I know it's totally boring to ask, but does anyone have any experience of the Sakribal school? I am planning on booking myself in their because I'm very interested in the REMAR drug and alcohol project they are associated with - I work in that field here in London, so wanted to do a bit of work in Guate too.

Any other advice or 'must do' tips greatly appreciated.

Cheers geezers.
The school is fine, bigger than some. Good outings too. Though there was this weird Scotish girl who drank every night, and she also looks like a man. Other than her, it was a great time!

Post by Guest »

Very chilly...frost on the grass chilly
New Boy

Post by New Boy »

Wicked, thanks guys.

I'd best take an extra jumper/sweater.

All Scots girls drink every night and look like men. Honestly, it's true! Braveheart had to tape his breasts to stop the English taking the piss.
babes

Re: Sakribal school and other questions

Post by babes »

New Boy wrote:Wicked, thanks guys.

I'd best take an extra jumper/sweater.

All Scots girls drink every night and look like men. Honestly, it's true! Braveheart had to tape his breasts to stop the English taking the piss.
HAHA!
Too funny!
Annette

Sakribal Graduate.....

Post by Annette »

I studied at Sakribal this pass winter. I highly recommend it. If you have specific questions, let me know.

A.

Re: Sakribal Graduate.....

Post by Guest »

Annette wrote:I studied at Sakribal this pass winter. I highly recommend it. If you have specific questions, let me know.

A.
Annette, thank you.

Nothing specific really, just wondered what to expect and any advice on how to get the most out of it. Did you stay with a family?
Annette

Post by Annette »

I stayed with a family and recommend a homestay as that helps with your immersion and provides additonal opportunity to practice the Spanish you learn at school. Your homestay (with 3 meals a day) is included in your Sakribal tuition. If you desire to stay in a hotel, I believe that can be arranged at additional cost.

As to what to expect, everyone's experience is different. I think what surprised me most was that there was soooo much to do all the time. If you go in with a positive attitude and an open mind, ready for a challenge, you will be pleasantly surprised.

Good luck.
(and say hi to Olga... the director for me).

Post by Guest »

Annette wrote:I stayed with a family and recommend a homestay as that helps with your immersion and provides additonal opportunity to practice the Spanish you learn at school. Your homestay (with 3 meals a day) is included in your Sakribal tuition. If you desire to stay in a hotel, I believe that can be arranged at additional cost.

As to what to expect, everyone's experience is different. I think what surprised me most was that there was soooo much to do all the time. If you go in with a positive attitude and an open mind, ready for a challenge, you will be pleasantly surprised.

Good luck.
Wow I wrote how I did not enjoy Olga & it gets erased from the site. Tom must be buds with her? So people that have a bad experience or not cushy and happy can't voice their concerns about something? Really nice...

Post by Guest »

Anonymous wrote:
Annette wrote:I stayed with a family and recommend a homestay as that helps with your immersion and provides additonal opportunity to practice the Spanish you learn at school. Your homestay (with 3 meals a day) is included in your Sakribal tuition. If you desire to stay in a hotel, I believe that can be arranged at additional cost.

Good luck.
Oh yeah, I also must point out that the deragotory posts regarding that scot woman was not deleted but anything negative about the school was deleted. I think the director, Olga, was a dictator and did things somewhat shadily. So there. Delete that one.

Wow I wrote how I did not enjoy Olga & it gets erased from the site. Tom must be buds with her? So people that have a bad experience or not cushy and happy can't voice their concerns about something? Really nice...
New Boy

Post by New Boy »

Was it not on a different board that you said that?

I saw a negative comment about the director elsewhere.

Post by Guest »

Anonymous wrote:
Anonymous wrote:

Good luck.
Oh yeah, I also must point out that the deragotory posts regarding that scot woman was not deleted but anything negative about the school was deleted. I think the director, Olga, was a dictator and did things somewhat shadily. So there. Delete that one.

I do not see the comments about Olga, were they deleted? I looked all over the board. they were not deragatory from what I recall, just honest for I felt the same way when I attended taht school. I do not know the scot girl though. Maybe she was there after me.

Post by Guest »

Sakribal is a good school...I like the fact that it is founded and directed by women, but that doesn't mean that they don't have male teachers. You may want to ask people for recommendations for teachers. Like any school you will have a good lot and bad lot.

Post by Guest »

I forgot to say, I think Xela is a great place to start off your trip in Guatemela. It is more authentic than Antigua, and there are a lot of little villages you can visit that aren't far from the city. If you have time I highly recommend that you see Todo Santos while you are there and Momostenango. But you should check whether either place may be an excursion arranged through the school before you go on your own. You should invest in a guide book like the Lonely Planet because there's a lot to see in Guatemala!!

It does get chilly in Xela because it's in the highlands, mostly in the morning and at night so make sure you have something warm to wear.

You may want to bring a flashlight because you never know when a blackout might happen.
Newboy

On my way

Post by Newboy »

I fly out on Monday and will make my way to Xela via Antigua and Lake Atitlan. Start at Sakribal on 18th.

Any final tips?

Wish I had managed to get some Spanish before I left, but just not had the time to commit. Basics and phrase book only to begin with for me!