Sakribal school and other questions

Open for all topics related to travel in Guatemala however we focus on Xela!.

Re: On my way

Post by Guest » Thu Apr 07, 2005 6:32 am

Newboy wrote:I fly out on Monday and will make my way to Xela via Antigua and Lake Atitlan. Start at Sakribal on 18th.

Any final tips?

Wish I had managed to get some Spanish before I left, but just not had the time to commit. Basics and phrase book only to begin with for me!
Don't do the chicken buses alone until you get a better feel for the language. You might end up who knows where! Stick with the school for a few weeks, or other travelers, with the exploring. Then when you feel more at ease you can go off on your own taking the chicken buses to various destinations. I spoke no spanish before going there my first time and the attempt to get somewhere was unreal. I ended up in some random town.. Looking back it was funny but being that was the last bus of the night, it wasn't fun at the time. Just use smart and you will be fine and will LOVE it!

El Zorro

was: On my way RE:Basic Spanish Words with Pronunciation

Post by El Zorro » Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:46 am

Newboy wrote:I fly out on Monday and will make my way to Xela via Antigua and Lake Atitlan. Start at Sakribal on 18th.

Any final tips?

Wish I had managed to get some Spanish before I left, but just not had the time to commit. Basics and phrase book only to begin with for me!

Enjoy:
Basic Spanish Words with Pronunciation
http://members.aol.com/alvareze/spanish/frame.html

Z

Re: was: On my way RE:Basic Spanish Words with Pronunciation

Post by Guest » Mon Apr 11, 2005 5:23 pm

El Zorro wrote:

Any final tips?

Enjoy:
Basic Spanish Words with Pronunciation
http://members.aol.com/alvareze/spanish/frame.html

Z

Also check out http://babelfish.altavista.com/

lazydazy

anyone who attended sakribal

Post by lazydazy » Sun May 07, 2006 4:16 pm

hi,

can someone please tell me if you received information from sakribal before you arrived about who's picking you up, the buses you should take, etc.? i haven't heard everything from the coordinator, sharon, and i'm leaving in three weeks so i wasn't sure if they email you something or you're on your own.

what was your experience getting from guate to xela? i just hope everything goes smoothly as my spanish isn't the best yet.

i'm looking forward to studying there and learning a lot as i've heard a lot of great things about sakribal on this message board.

thanks!
Kristy

Post by Guest » Mon May 08, 2006 9:33 am

Just email them directly at:

info@sakribal.com

You should have received a welcome letter from them. You have plenty of time to get it straighten out. I attended the school last year and I was pickup at the airport, spent one night in Guatemala City then they put me on the bus to Xela. When I arrived in Xela I was met by the woman who would be my first teacher. I had no Spanish expect a few words and it was very smooth for me.

Tera

lazydazy

Post by lazydazy » Mon May 08, 2006 4:54 pm

tera,
are they going to email a welcome letter? or mail it to my home in the US? i've been corresponding with w/sharon for the past 6 mo. and she's been answering all of my questions. all i received was a confirmation for my registration when i registered in December.

she said i have to meet someone outside the airport and they'll be holding a sign w/"Sakribal" written on it. That person is suppossed to take me to the bus station and drop me off. Then someone from the school is suppossed to pick me up. Is the airport in Guatemala City big? Is it pretty easy to find the person you're meeting? i know the airports in chicago are very big and busy so i don't know what to compare La Aurora International Airport to.

thanks!
Kristy

Post by Guest » Tue May 09, 2006 11:15 am

Well since you have been corresponding for 6 months I am sure you got all the info in one form or another maybe not in one email. However, if you are unsure you should email the school to clarify. This forum is probably not the best place to ask specific questions regarding your pickup situation with one particular school I would guess you need to email them directly and ask the question.

The airport was easy only one area where people wait so you should have no problem finding someone with a sign.

Tera

Post by Guest » Tue May 09, 2006 11:40 am

Well since you have been corresponding for 6 months I am sure you got all the info in one form or another maybe not in one email. However, if you are unsure you should email the school to clarify. This forum is probably not the best place to ask specific questions regarding your pickup situation with one particular school I would guess you need to email them directly and ask the question.

The airport was easy only one area where people wait so you should have no problem finding someone with a sign.

Tera

lazydazy

Post by lazydazy » Tue May 09, 2006 2:15 pm

tera, i checked w/the school and they said i'll get information when i arrive. i don't know, maybe their policy had changed regarding sending out a letter. i just wanted to know other peoples experiences w/sakribal, that's all.

thanks for everything. i have everything all set now w/my arrival.
Kristy

Post by Guest » Wed May 10, 2006 10:05 am

lazydazy wrote:tera, i checked w/the school and they said i'll get information when i arrive. i don't know, maybe their policy had changed regarding sending out a letter. i just wanted to know other peoples experiences w/sakribal, that's all.

thanks for everything. i have everything all set now w/my arrival.
The airport is not big at all, easy to maneuver. Also get some Quetzals in the airport bank to pay for stuff before leaving the airport. There are rarely issues with getting picked up as they say you will. Someone will be there! Sharon is helpful and I am sure she will have it all covered for you.

Post by Guest » Wed May 10, 2006 2:16 pm

The Guatemala City airport is very easy, but the lines at immigration can be long. Also, your ride will need to wait outside. It's a little strange for those of us not used to this, but all the people are waiting outside near the parking lot and you will have to look into a sea of people and look for someone holding a sign with your name. It's not hard, just different.

alvareze

Re: Sakribal school and other questions

Post by alvareze » Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:12 pm

guest1

Re: Sakribal school and other questions

Post by guest1 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:05 pm

I think Xela is a great choice.

My only advice is to try to arrive first and hit the places that have information for you and they'll help you find what fits because the locals are the people who can help you find what fits.

Xela Pages - Ask Tom
Monte Verde Tours - Josh
Adrenalina Tours -Patrick