atm fees???

Open for all topics related to travel in Guatemala however we focus on Xela!.
JAMESJ

atm fees???

Post by JAMESJ » Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:49 pm

do Guatemalan atms charge fees? or is it better just to exchange cash?

admin
Site Admin

Re: atm fees???

Post by admin » Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:20 pm

Yes, I think they all charge fees. Last time I checked it was between Q8 and Q20 so $1 to $2.50. I have heard of fees up to $5.00.

Cash gets the worst exchange rate usually Q0.10 less than travelers checks or the rate you get on your ATM, but can be changed in banks and change houses (Casas de Cambio). However be fore warned these place ONLY accept CRISP, CLEAN, NON TORN bills. If the bill is mangled, dirty, worn or torn they will not change it. Also sometimes bigger bills get a better rate at the casa de cambios. So a $20 might get Q7.65 and $100 Q7.70 as an example.

Tom
http://www.xelapages.com - Study Spanish in Quetzaltenango, Guatemala!

xelawho?

Post by xelawho? » Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:18 pm

those are fees on foreign cards, BTW.

another thing to bear in mind that there is a Q2000 (Q1000) in some cases max limit per transaction on every ATM I have dealt with.

of course you can stick your card in again and get another Q2000 but then they will be stinging you the foreign transaction fee all over.

this is all separate to what your bank is charging you.

if you're going to be here for a while it's worth investigating opening a Guatemalan bank account and transferring a chunk into it. local cards don't pay transaction fees as long as the atm is part of their bank's network. there are a few threads here about opening accounts, fees, etc.
http://www.xelawho.com: Quetzaltenango's leading culture & nightlife magazine
featuring the most awesome map of Xela ever made

Christopher Gray

Post by Christopher Gray » Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:45 pm

xelawho? wrote:another thing to bear in mind that there is a Q2000 ... max limit per transaction on every ATM I have dealt with.
BAC allows Q2500. ATMs at Cemaco and Pradera Xela. I suppose there is also one at the branch office across the street from Pais Mont Blanc. They usually don't give receipts. The one receipt I do have shows a fee of Q23.22 for taking out Q2300. This is on par with the other ATMs in town. The BI ATMs say they charge $2 but they actually charge $4 per my bank statement.