Visa renewal

Open for all topics related to travel in Guatemala however we focus on Xela!.
mscoop85

Visa renewal

Post by mscoop85 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:56 am

Are there any agencies in Xela who will renew your passport (visa) for a reasonable fee? I'm not interested in going to the capitol or making the border run. I would gladly pay a little extra money if it means I don't have to deal with a border run. I know there are some legit ones in Guatemala City and Antigua but I have not heard of any in Xela. If anyone has any experience with this, feel free to reply. Also, has anyone studied at La Comunidad language school? Thank you.

Felipe

Re: Visa renewal

Post by Felipe » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:41 am

Adrenalina Tours offers this service. Their main office is inside the Pasaje Enriquez, across from the Parque Central.

allenh

Post by allenh » Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:01 pm

Does anyone know any other place besides Adrenalina? Apparently they stopped doing this.

Or even a place in Lago Atitlan if it exists? I keep on searching and finding rumors about travel agencies who will help with visa renewal but no one ever has a name of a specific place.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:54 pm

I do not know of anyone in Xela offering this service anymore. There is a guy in Antigua that might be able to help.

Jose Caal - 5518-3128
josecaal@hotmail.com
in Antigua

Tom

PS: Post back here with the info you find if you would be so kind.
http://www.xelapages.com - Study Spanish in Quetzaltenango, Guatemala!

Monte Verde Tours

Post by Monte Verde Tours » Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:35 pm

We can do this service for you. It costs 450Q, and takes two days. You get the Guatemalan exit and entrance stamp, and a new 90 days and are in the computer. BUT this is not technically legal and you do not get the Mexican entrance and exit stamps. But I have never heard of anyone having any difficulties doing this.
Josh
Monte Verde Tours
13av. 8-34 z.1
5729-6279
info@monte-verdetours.com

GavinoGainza

Post by GavinoGainza » Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:17 pm

Adrenalina Tours used to offer this service. It no longer does.
It is actually illegal for anyone to do this for you.
But there is an unscrupulous character that lives/lurks somewhere on Lago Atitlan who has been doing this ILLEGAL service for sometime. When he is not bumming off people's good will I believe he shacks up in old SUV in Xela. Trusting your passport to anyone like this... well buyer beware.
You can do it yourself much easier... A couple or three buses to the border and spend a day in Tapachula (take your shorts and sandals) or as shuttle ride there and back. Go for lunch... yes you don't see Mexico or much of it.. but what the heck, no one seems to mind.

allenh

Post by allenh » Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:24 pm

Just landed in the US and wanted to give a quick update.

Went through Josh at monte verde. Absolutely no problems, guatemalan customs didn't bat an eye. Big thanks to josh for saving me a day of travel and anxiety. Will probably use Monte Verde again when I am back in a few years.

guest1

Post by guest1 » Mon May 25, 2015 8:34 am

There has recently been a LOT of problems for tourists on the Mexican borders being charged a false 60$ "visa fee". If you go into Mexico make sure that you have them write 7 days on your visa (unless you are planning to stay longer because you can have up to 180 days as a tourist for which you pay a tax). What they are doing is improperly writing the visas and then claiming that you have to pay 60$ as an exit fee if you have the 180 day visa. I saw this done to a group of about 20 tourists who were traveling into Guatemala from San Cristobal de Las Casas, Mexico via the Messilla. I was a legal resident of Mexico for 5 years, so I know the visa laws and any border agent or tour operator who says you have to pay an exit fee for being in Mexico for less than 7 days to get an exit stamp is lying. You have already probably paid the tax to the airline you flew in on or to the tour operator who booked your shuttle. I my case I was extorted 60$ by border agents in TJ after I flew from Tapachula and was crossing into San Diego, which is in my own country where I was legally born and its says so on my passport. They refused to stamp me out of Mexico without payment. I had to have that stamp in order to be able to travel back into Guatemala. I know people enjoy studying, traveling and volunteering here in Guatemala, but with the amount of money and time my family and I have spent and volunteered here in the community it has become silly to think about paying more to get my 90 day visa in Guatemala. I can work in the United States and many other countries, earn more, and not feel worried about a 90 day visa because other countries have fair systems that will allow me to contribute.

Souix

Post by Souix » Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:37 pm

Quit whining. Like YOU can't afford to pay up? Spoilt & entitled capitalist! :D

Christopher Gray

Post by Christopher Gray » Sun Aug 30, 2015 4:50 pm

guest1 wrote:any border agent or tour operator who says you have to pay an exit fee for being in Mexico for less than 7 days to get an exit stamp is lying.
The fee for the tourist card (about US$21) is still due if you exit to a different country than you entered from, even if you were only in México for one day. If you entered by air, save the receipt for your ticket to show that you already paid this. Otherwise you can pay at any bank. I believe there are Banjercito branches inside the Tijuana and DF airports.

As for the 60, was it pesos or dollars? I've passed (on foot) many times into San Diego from Tijuana at both the Otay Mesa and main crossing. And I don't even know where to find a Mexican border agent there, so I don't have any stamps in my passport for Baja California, only for Chiapas. Doesn't seem to have caused me to have any problems entering Guatemala by land--haven't tried by air.

They usually give me 180 day visas, even though I've never stayed in México more than four days. Someday I'm going to actually visit México, and not just fly over it.

Christopher Gray

Post by Christopher Gray » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:39 pm

Last time I crossed at Talismán, after a three day stay, I was informed that the rules have changed. The tourist card is now always required at the southern border. Furthermore, it has increased in price to 500 pesos. They conveniently have a Banjercito representative in the border control office that accepts cash or credit. Too bad I didn't have a credit card or enough cash on me. And there's no ATM in Talismán. I had to return to Tapachula.

Christopher Gray

Post by Christopher Gray » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:48 am

I did successfully exit at Talismán in May 2018 without paying the tourist tax after entering from Guatemala three days prior. But on September 6 after entering from the USA on September 4, they wanted 533 pesos for the tourist tax. Unfortunately the Banjercito at the Talismán border would not take my money because my forma migratoria múltiple (FMM), officially stamped in Tijuana, was the type filled out on a computer and printed, rather than the hand written ones they use at the southern border.