Mail Service in Xela

Open for all topics related to travel in Guatemala however we focus on Xela!.
LT88

Mail Service in Xela

Post by LT88 »

Our family would like to send a get well card and photo frame to my daughter's home stay family in Xela from the US. Is US Priority Mail the best method, or simple airmail? Is it best to send the photo without frame in a regular letter envelope? Appreciate some advice. How long will it take to arrive in Xela from the western U.S? Thanks so much in advance for advice.
Richard Free

Re: Mail Service in Xela

Post by Richard Free »

I've had my best luck with such things being sent to me by USPS International Priority Mail using the hard envelope provided by USPS. You probably couldn't fit a picture frame into the envelope, but the photo and whatever else you can fit into the envelope should be fairly well protected. This method generally takes about 2 weeks. Seems like everything takes about 2 weeks. This service and its price are about as good as you are going to get unless you want to spend a small fortune for a faster delivery.

The larger USPS IPM boxes work well instead if you have more than will fit into the hard envelope. Your PO can help you sort this out. R
LT88

Post by LT88 »

Thanks for the reply. After speaking with USPS rep on phone - it is very expensive to send an envelope via Priority Mail - twice as expensive as First Class Mail Registered Mail. I think she said the envelope can't be tracked with Priority Mail in Guatemala ? The representative stated the best way to assure the delivery of the package and be able to trace it would be via Registered Mail since it requires a signature from the household. Does this sound like the best way to send a greeting card with photos? Does this take quite a bit longer? Thanks.
Richard Free

Post by Richard Free »

I've not dealt with registered mail in either direction so I can't answer your question. Perhaps someone else reading this board can be more helpful.

The post office here has told me registered to the U.S. is no faster than regular airmail. That's the best I can do for you.

There has been very little problem with mail in recent years that I am aware of. If anything, it tends to be more a problem with customs and valuable items than anything else. Maybe first-class is fine if money is an issue.

Go with your local PO's advice if this is a one-time thing. R
LT88

Post by LT88 »

Thank you again R. We will send via First Class Mail with postal office recommendation. If anyone has experience with Registered Mail vs. Priority Mail we would appreciate knowing if it is slightly more secure than Priority since there is a way to know if the letter was delivered.
guest1

Post by guest1 »

Does anyone know how I can send a document to:

Zona 1 13 Av. 7-60
Quetzaltenango
Guatemala
Centro America

will it arrive to the building by national mail?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I get mail from the USA on a semi regular basis and it is delivered to my office in Zona 1.

In general the way to address your letter is:

Recipient Name
13 Av. 7-60, Zona 1
Quetzaltenango, Guatemala, 09001

This is how my mail is addressed and it generally works. It typically takes 14 to 21 days for mail to reach me from the USA. Packages can be problems if possible send your items in a large padded manilla envelope instead of a box, this has helped keep the package from being held in customs.

Hope this helps.

Tom
http://www.xelapages.com - Study Spanish in Quetzaltenango, Guatemala!