Can I bring powdered spices in luggage into Guatemala?

Open for all topics related to travel in Guatemala however we focus on Xela!.
jazzman

Can I bring powdered spices in luggage into Guatemala?

Post by jazzman » Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:02 am

Hi I would like to know if I can bring in a large container of a powered spice mix
it in my checked luggage? I don't want to get fined or have it seized as it is expensive as well.
It is specialty spices I know I can't buy in Guatemala that is why.

Thanks

Richard Free

Re: Can I bring powdered spices in luggage into Guatemala?

Post by Richard Free » Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:56 pm

I regularly return home to Xela by air with various powdered spices with no trouble. However, these are not large bottles. I also return with several 2 pound containers of various protein powders. During almost 6 years of regular travel between the USA and Guatemala I've never had a problem. R

jazzman

Post by jazzman » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:45 pm

Thanks very much Richard, this is hopeful info to hear.

mikeurbain

Post by mikeurbain » Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:58 pm

I realize the original post is over 2 weeks old. But for the record I was able to bring a 1 lb bag of diatomaceous earth in my checked baggage. At least in the food grade form it is a white powder. So plenty of friends made fun of me for trying to bring it from Chicago but I had no problem. I guess it just depends on whether it is checked or not. The only thing I did was add a clear label. I guess bringing a white powder into Guatemala doesn't raise any eyebrows. (I didn't try to take any back with me!) :D

nibor00

Post by nibor00 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:54 am

jazzman wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:02 am
Hi I would like to know if I can bring in a large container of a powered spice mix
it in my checked luggage? I don't want to get fined or have it seized as it is expensive as well.
It is specialty spices I know I can't buy in Guatemala that is why.

Thanks
Hello there,
The answer to this question is in your own question.
Thanks

Richard Free

Post by Richard Free » Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:19 pm

During a recent 8 year period I have returned home to Xela, Guatemala many times from the USA. I usually brought with me several 2-lb containers of powdered whey protein--available in Guatemala but not outdated and half the price in the USA. The only times I have ever been questioned were upon leaving the USA--never an issue, not entering Guatemala ever. These containers have been the original sealed commercial retail containers. They can wipe/scan to test for whatever when leaving the USA. I asked once if they saw a lot of drugs going to Central America from the USA and not the reverse direction but they didn't think that was funny. Don't know about homemade spice mixes or quantity. RF