renting a car in Tapachula with a Guatemalan license?

Open for all topics related to travel in Guatemala however we focus on Xela!.
Kai

renting a car in Tapachula with a Guatemalan license?

Post by Kai »

Hello everyone,

I'm planning to drive in Mexico past the border area in a few weeks. Since all of my car windows are tinted like many cars here in Guate, which is prohibited in Mexico, I'm thinking about renting a car in Tapachula. Here'a s question:

My US license has expired and I now only possess a Guatemalan license. Does anyone know if there's any problem? Thanks in advance!
admin
Site Admin

Re: renting a car in Tapachula with a Guatemalan license?

Post by admin »

Kai,

Is the no dark windows a new thing?? I have driven through MX many times and never heard of that. It might only pertain to cars with MX plates. I remember seeing tons of cars with polarized windows in MX, so I would double check that info.

I have never rented a car in MX but I have rented many time in the USA with my Guatemalan drivers license and it has never been a problem. You might consider calling the Tapachula airport to see if they have rentals available and what are the requirements.

Address: Carretera a Puerto Madero Km. 18.5, 30830 Tapachula, Chiapas, Mexico
Phone:+52 962 626 2291
http://www.asur.com.mx/

Tom
http://www.xelapages.com - Study Spanish in Quetzaltenango, Guatemala!
Kai

Post by Kai »

Tom,

Thanks for the quick reply. I don't know if the regulation was created recently. But I actually was told by police men a couple of times while driving in Tapachula this year that I must drive front door windows open since ventanas polarizadas are prohibited. The same argument was found in this year's El Quetzalteco article.

Anyway, I'll call the airport. Thanks again for your reply!
xelawho?

Post by xelawho? »

it's not an MX plates thing - there's a big billboard entering Mexico at El Carmen that says something along the lines of "Guatemalan friend! If you have polarized windows please wind them down"

Needless to say, as soon as they passed that regulation the cartels decided it was just all too much trouble and decided to disband...
http://www.xelawho.com: Quetzaltenango's leading culture & nightlife magazine
featuring the most awesome map of Xela ever made
guest1

Post by guest1 »

Huh?

What country is your passport from?

A Guatemalan passport, a DPI, and all the proper documentation required by Mexico right now should be fine.

If you have a Guatemalan license you have to have a DPI, so you also have to have a border crossing card for Mexico now. Or and FM3 in Mexico. Or diplomatic or other international license.

As a Guatemalan national I think you now have to have a special card from the Mexican Consul just to pass into Tapachula.

Rent and fly.