Swimming pools in and around Xela

Open for all topics related to travel in Guatemala however we focus on Xela!.
guest1

Swimming pools in and around Xela

Post by guest1 » Mon May 25, 2015 6:09 am

Hello everyone,

Is there anyone who has tried the swimming pool and/or gym at the Colina Country Club, on the way to Cantel and Zunil? I'm wondering if I need to be a member of that club to use these facilities.

Also, any up-to-date info on swimming pools in and around Xela would be appreciated. I've tried the following but am still looking for good ones for laps.

-georgina
-villa alicia
-valle paraiso
-el tunel
-chicovix
-hotel del campo

Is there anyone who knows how I can swim in the swimming pool at the complejo without taking classes, during non-class hours?

Thanks
Last edited by guest1 on Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

guest1

Re: Colina Country Club: swimming pool

Post by guest1 » Mon May 25, 2015 7:30 am

I have checked out the Cantabria Country Club in the Esperanza and it has a good lap lane. You might have to ask the staff about what times are best for lap swimming. I tried the complejo for lap swimming and I found the process for lap swimming very confusing. I spoke to the national coach to see if I could use an empty lane at 6 am and he requested a copy of my passport and required me to do a time trial despite the fact that I am a former all- american swimmer, certified lifeguard, and also a NAUI certified rescue diver. The complejo pool was very hard to swim in because it has slippery tiled walls and was generally unsanitary. The staff there seemed very disinterested in welcoming anyone as a non-national "athlete" despite the fact that many of them have very poor swimming form and could probably improve by swimming with other swimmers. I even offered to volunteer and no one would respond to my questions. I also asked about use of the pool at the country club near the Mont Blanc Mall but was told I must have references from three members of the club in order to join. They allowed me to tour the club and the pool didn't seem like it was useful for lap swimming since it is mostly used for recreation or swim classes. I would check out the Cantabria Country Club which is easy to access by microbuses that stop in the Esperanza and run from the central park in Xela.

guest1

Post by guest1 » Mon May 25, 2015 7:44 am

Thanks for your reply!

Well, did you actually swim at the Cantabria. I knew there is a swimming pool there, but thought that obtaining a membership is a bit complicated and pricey for extranjeros.

Vis-a-vis, the complejo, I agree with you that it's very complicated. I'm actually taking classes, which was the easiest way to swim there. The problem is that I cannot train enough just taking the classes...

guest1

Post by guest1 » Mon May 25, 2015 7:56 am

I also forgot to add that during November the complejo had a triathalon training camp or program with sales a a lot of gear, but when we tried to find out about when and where we could participate in the triathalon we were told that there was no event. Similar to when we tried to participate in a 10k in Xela and could not get any map for the race and were also almost run over by a PNC truck that was not even helping to monitor the route. We've found the sports scene in Xela to be very frustrating, although we have met very nice people who exercise all the time and are very welcoming. The attitude of a few has really bummed us out.

guest1

Post by guest1 » Mon May 25, 2015 8:02 am

The Cantabria Country Club has prices listed at 250 Q per month. The number is 77720629 // 5838-7562. I would assume if you are a tourist or visitor to Xela that you would be welcomed by them and offered the same price that they are promoting.

guest1

Post by guest1 » Mon May 25, 2015 8:47 am

Thank you very much!

I've just talked to the manager there over the phone and told me that the monthly fee is Q225, which is actually cheaper than Scandinavia Gym. I'll most likely join the club as with the family membership.

guest1

Post by guest1 » Mon May 25, 2015 9:13 am

FYI, I've also look for the info on Colina. They charge Q200 just for the swimming pool, meaning that to use the gym there, it's necessary to pay another Q200. Also, with the membership, one can use the pool only up to three times a week.

guest1

Post by guest1 » Mon May 25, 2015 10:00 am

The Cantabria Country Club seems like a really nice place and if they are sticking to the prices and allowing people to lap swim that seems like a great option for 225Q.
I hope other swimmers and runners join up!
Good luck with your training!!

guest1

Cantabria Country Club

Post by guest1 » Sat May 30, 2015 6:48 pm

Okay, so It's been almost a week since I obtained my membership.

Here's my thought.

The swimming pool is fine. But since there's no line on the floor of the pool that indicates the distance, it's difficult to do a flip turn, especially on one side of the swimming pool (the other side I can use the drainage port near the wall as a sign). Well, very good swimmers may not be bothered by this if s/he can guess his/her location by the number of strokes, but I'm not that good.

Anyway, the swimming pool is fairly clean and often times, I can be the only person there, which is nice.

The gym is pretty basic. You cannot expect the Gold-Gym or your college gym standard (at least in my case. I went to a very large state college). I guess its focus is more on functional training led by personnal trainers. I don't do weight so much, so several dumbbells and some old machines there suffice. And it's spacious, and in the afternoon I could even practice some karate katas as almost nobody was there.

Hope this info would help somebody

guest1

Post by guest1 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:29 pm

Thanks for checking back. I hope people can form some kind of training group at the club and that they check back with news about how it goes.

guest3

Re: Swimming pools in and around Xela

Post by guest3 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:48 am

Besides the locations listed above, Turicentro San Martin, before reaching El Tunel from Xela is a good place (Q10).
There is a 25M pool (or so it seems) but on weekends, it may be difficult for lap swimming if there are many visitors.

Also, though I've never been there, there is Los Chorros in Los Baños, not far from Valle Paraiso and Villa Alicia.

guest1

Post by guest1 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:07 am

There's an olympic size swimming pool in Mazatenango. Not sure if visitors can swim there though.

guest1

Post by guest1 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:32 am

Where's the pool? Streets?

guest1

Post by guest1 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:46 am

Also my Guatemalan "BOYFRIEND" told me that Mazate is dangerous and to NOT leave his side, not drive, and that I could be deported for anything? there????
As a woman NO ONE can swim in Guatemala without concerns of men saying made up things just because you swim alone?
The "olympic pool" in Mazate is disgusting and no female from outside of Guatemala should go there without body guards.

guest2

Post by guest2 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:06 am

Well, have you or your "BOYFRIEND" actually been to the olympic pool in Mazate?

"I could be deported for anything? there???? " Is that true? I've never heard of that.

A foreigner, especially female, may call more attention, but at least in some places (like the famous Fuentes Georgina where lots of foreigners visit and the pool in the Cantabria Club where most visitors there are the members of the club), it's unlikely to feel uncomfortable even if you swim alone.