More Xela blog posts live :)

Open for all topics related to travel in Guatemala however we focus on Xela!.
clairesfootsteps

More Xela blog posts live :)

Post by clairesfootsteps »

Posts focusing on the pros and cons of a Spanish immersion course, and my experiences with my Guatemalan homestay.

www.clairesfootsteps.com
admin
Site Admin

Re: More Xela blog posts live :)

Post by admin »

I really like your blog Claire!! Thank you for sharing it with us.

It was nice to meet you while you were in Xela

Tom
http://www.xelapages.com - Study Spanish in Quetzaltenango, Guatemala!
amylinda

Post by amylinda »

Nice Blog!

I was with two of my best female friends in April 2015 who studied Spanish with me on summer break in Cuernavaca. MX back in 2006. They later did a backpacking tip to Panajachel and even the volcano in San Pedro without me - I was studying for real. All of us much older now and me, the only fluent Spanish speaker between English, Tagalog, and Homgn-Mien?

They loved Pana! I was asking, but what about the rain? and the tuk-tuks? and well, is it safe if a woman my age can get cut up and left in the woods?

My impression? Pana great people. Clean it up, keep it safe.

I'd take a private boat from Pana to San Juan if I were me or any Inguat Tour Guide with folks who want to see and learn.

Your blog keeps me thinking about what younger people can learn and enjoy and also do safely. Thanks for sharing.
clairesfootsteps

Thanks for the comments Amy and Tom!

Amy, Panajachel wasn't my cup of tea but my opinion may well have been moulded by a few bad experiences. I loved Lake Atitlan as a whole, it is certainly one of the most jaw-droppingly beautiful places I've ever seen! With a few safety precautions - not wandering around alone after dark, not taking too much cash out etc, the Lake (and all of Guatemala that i've experienced) felt very safe to me.

One thing i'd definitely recommend is walking to Santa Catarina Palopó from Panajachel. It's just over an hour walk along a scenic peaceful road, and offers spectacular views of the lake and surrounding towns. At Santa Catarina Palopó there are supposedly hot springs - i'm not sure if I went to the wrong ones or if they were having an off day but the ones I found weren't actually hot - but the stunning scenery made up for it!

I'll be writing a blog post about that soon, and a bit more about Lake Atitlan, so keep an eye out for future posts!
xelawho?

Post by xelawho? »

Hi Claire,

the hot springs that I have been to on the lake are actually closer to San Antonio and you can't get to them from the road. They are very hot though and well worth the effort.

I wrote about them some time ago, here: http://xelawho.com/?p=1265
http://www.xelawho.com: Quetzaltenango's leading culture & nightlife magazine
featuring the most awesome map of Xela ever made
clairesfootsteps

Xelawho, thanks for the information! I must have gotten completely lost - shame I didn't find them as they sound completely blissful, but Santa Catarina was still a pretty stunning place.