Internet cafes

Open for all topics related to travel in Guatemala however we focus on Xela!.
Shan

Internet cafes

Post by Shan » Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:17 pm

1) Can phones be used at internet cafes? My husband is bringing a business phone. Our personal calls are not paid by his business, so I wanted to find out if phones can be used with wifi at internet cafes. Also, how much does it cost to use an internet cafe in this way?
2) What are the internet cafes like? Are they business-y and formal or are they places you can relax and hang out as you use the internet?

admin
Site Admin

Re: Internet cafes

Post by admin » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:40 pm

Hi Shan,

Some internet cafes will offer wifi many don't. I own an internet shop and we do not offer wifi.

We do however offer phone calls to the USA/CA/Europe for Q1.00/min for landlines. You are welcome to stop by while you are here in Xela to check us out. For internet access we charge Q5($0.65) per hour and for a private booth with headset and camera we charge Q10($1.30) per hour.

There are many places in Xela that offer free wifi such as coffee shops, restaurants...etc. You can always pop into one of these places buy a coffee and sit around while you use the net or talk on your wifi enabled phone.

If you bring an unlocked GSM phone to Guatemala you can buy a SIM card (Q25) for your phone and have internet on your telephone. The cost varies depending on which company but it is approx Q199 to Q399 per month. You can also buy internet by the day or week for less.

Hope that helps!

See ya in Xela

Tom
http://www.xelapages.com - Study Spanish in Quetzaltenango, Guatemala!

Shan

Re: Internet cafes

Post by Shan » Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:30 pm

This is very helpful. Thank you very much.