K'iche' Grammar Books?

Open for all topics related to travel in Guatemala however we focus on Xela!.
ANA

K'iche' Grammar Books?

Post by ANA » Fri May 27, 2016 6:41 am

Hello everyone,

I'll be staying in Xela for a couple of weeks next month and while I'm there, I wanna buy some grammar books for the K'iche' language. Any bookstores you can think of?

Thanks,

Christopher Gray

Re: K'iche' Grammar Books?

Post by Christopher Gray » Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:32 pm

I saw something related to Ki'che' at the book table set up in front of the cultural center on 4th street in zone 3, but it was probably just a Spanish-Ki'che' dictionary. But take a look there. I thought of the Corporación Educativa near CUNOC, but their online catalog doesn't show anything. I think your best bet is to ask one of the teachers at Celas Maya or Casa Xelajú.
ANA wrote:Any bookstores you can think of?
Amazon.com :wink: If you don't find anything, Basic K'ichee' Grammar: 38 Lessons, Revised Edition is scheduled to be released on 1 August. Also, Volume 3 of The Crosslinguistic Study of Language Acquisition, Dan Isaac Slobin (Editor) has a chapter by Clifton Pye entitled The Acquisition of K'iche' (Maya).

ANA

Post by ANA » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:47 am

Thank you! I'll definitely take a look at the table on 4th St. and visit the schools you've mentioned.

Dale

Post by Dale » Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:01 pm

Thanks for the information. Christopher.

Ana, will you be taking lessons?

I am in Antigua. Quite by chance, I met a very qualified teacher of Kakchikel. There are so many sounds in the language that it would have been a mistake not to have taken classes. I hope to be living in Xela within a few months and I'd like to study Kíche'. Have you had contacts with any schools or teachers?