first class and second class buses and luggage!

Open for all topics related to travel in Guatemala however we focus on Xela!.

Postby caminoboy » Sun Dec 12, 2004 8:41 pm

i've traveled quite a bit, but each country is slightly diff than others. in guat, is your luggage safe on a first class bus. in other words do they give you a ticket and only give the luggage to the person who has the matching ticket? or, as some are, do they give it to anyone who points to it as their luggage?

i'm just wondering how much i need to keep an eye on my luggage if i'm on the wrong side of the bus, or asleep, if you know what i mean.

also, what about the chicken buses. what controls do they have for luggage?

just curious. thanks!
caminoboy

Postby Guest » Mon Dec 13, 2004 8:23 am

First class buses have the luggage area down below so relatively safe. I do not recall ever getting tickets to receive the luggage, they just set it out when you get off the bus.
Chicken buses, they can put the luggage up top or you can try to carry it with you on the bus. But be prepared to hold the luggage on your lap so they can fit two people next to you. I'd avoid a lot of baggage on the chicken buses if I were you...
I would avoid a lot of luggage even for an extended stay anyway. Good laundry services available for you to wash clothes every week. Bring some warm sweaters, long underwear and good walking shoes! It will be cold! (especially at night)

caminoboy wrote:i've traveled quite a bit, but each country is slightly diff than others. in guat, is your luggage safe on a first class bus. in other words do they give you a ticket and only give the luggage to the person who has the matching ticket? or, as some are, do they give it to anyone who points to it as their luggage?

i'm just wondering how much i need to keep an eye on my luggage if i'm on the wrong side of the bus, or asleep, if you know what i mean.

also, what about the chicken buses. what controls do they have for luggage?

just curious. thanks!

Return to General Guatemala Travel Discussion