Public health summer program at UVG, Solola?

General discussion about volunteer opportunities in Guatemala with a focus on Xela.
Chriswaterguy

Public health summer program at UVG, Solola?

Post by Chriswaterguy »

I want to connect with local groups doing sustainability, development and appropriate technology, who would be interested in sharing their knowledge, in Spanish and/or English.

One program I'm trying to find out about is connected with an professor from the US who teaches at UVG in Solola, at Lake Atitlan. University of Virginia students and UVG students participate in a public health program, I think at San Lucas la Laguna. I haven't been able to find any more info than that.

Any leads - a name, a web address relevant to the program, address, any clue - much appreciated. Thanks!
http://www.appropedia.org - the wiki for sustainability, development, thrivability.
daviddrp

Post by daviddrp »

Um, ready for the weakest lead ever?

Last summer I met a doctor in San Marcos La Laguna who worked a little pharmacy stand a couple of days a week. From the San Marcos boat dock just sort of walk through the tourist zone away from the lake until you come to this big playground/park public area, and his pharmacy shack is to your right. Or six months ago it was . . .

This guy travels to the different lagoon villages doing public health type work for some NGO. Perhaps he or his org. might have a connection with students of this program from Sololá. Maybe they tag along with him.

Yeah, like I said, that was the worst lead, ever, esp. since I don´t remember which days he kept the pharmacy (his off-days from public health work). But he was a super nice guy and would be happy to chat you up I´m sure. Let me know if you find anything out.

-David
Chriswaterguy

Post by Chriswaterguy »

Thanks! That's the only lead I have so far, so I appreciate it. Hoping to get back to Atitlan in a few weeks, so I'll check it out then.
http://www.appropedia.org - the wiki for sustainability, development, thrivability.