Oldest city: Xela or Antigua?

Oldest city: Xela or Antigua?

Postby luis soto » Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:08 pm

Historians: Do you know what city was founded first by the spanish conquistadores: Xela or Antigua?
To me Xela was one of the first points of contact they had upon their arrive to Guatemala, but I would like to have a more analytical answer.
A big thanks.
Luis.
luis soto

Postby angelina » Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:20 pm

wikipedia is a good source of info like that. i would not trust any answer you get here. a lot of people seem to post without thinking.
angelina

Thank you

Postby luis soto » Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:41 pm

Thank you Angelina:
I will look at Wikipedia to find out about Guatemalan history.
Or perhaps I will go to the Public Library in zona 1, I love to browse old history books!
But I still insist that Xela was founded first, if you look close to the conquistadores´journey, I think they got to Xela by the south coast side (Reu) they hiked the mountains and made a stop at the "Llano del Pinal" which is a big flat land at the slopes of the Santa María volcano, then they came to Xela then they headed to Salcajá and so on.
It´s just a probability.
Greetings.
:roll:
luis soto

Re:

Postby leila » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:04 pm

angelina wrote:wikipedia is a good source of info like that. i would not trust any answer you get here. a lot of people seem to post without thinking.

hahaha... I agree.
Wikis specializes in things like that but if you're looking for more subjective opinion then here's the place for that.
leila

Re: Oldest city: Xela or Antigua?

Postby dbuzzingham » Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:00 pm

You may have difficulty determining which is older, since I understand that both colonial cities were founded on previously existing Mayan towns.
dbuzzingham

Return to Antigua & Surrounding area